ES - fighting in the West

Todd Marsh llywelyn at home.com
Thu Apr 15 15:30:03 PDT 1999

I went to a fighter practice in Santa Clara, CA on Tuesday.  It was very
interesting to watch the fighters from the West practice.  They usually
practice "slow work", walking through a fight at one quarter speed.  The
people I saw practicing were evenly divided between slow work without armor,
slow work in armor, and sparring.

The usual style was much more open and flowing than you see in Ansteorra.
Shields were much smaller, and moved around more.  The basic stance seemed
to be with the shield under the chin and the bottom of the shield at a 45
degree angle to the body.  The sword was held with the hand near the ear,
and the blade hanging down the back.  It looked very strange.

Llywelyn