ES - Springfaire Saga - Chapter 4

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Apr 6 19:00:38 PDT 1999

And now for the final chapter of

				Springfaire Saga

	Lord Ulrich was disappointed.  He had hoped to win this tournament.
Perhaps if he had not focused so carefully on the consorts... but no,
that had been one of the most enjoyable aspects of this Tournament.  He
was not involved with any lady currently and often he went to events
alone or with his knight.  Often the only person he had to take care of
was himself and sometimes it was lonely.  But not today, he had a
brought a lady to fight for.  She had been able to stay with him under
the pavillion most of the day, since he was able to keep her for most of
the rounds.  And his friends had done wonderful service, keeping
everyone well watered and fed and even entertained.  He must remember to
do something very special for them soon, he thought.  And until
recently, Lady Igraine had sat under his pavillion and of all the
consorts, he thought he was most happy being with her.  He wondered if
she liked to dance and if there would be a ball tonight...

	Lady Igraine was happy.  Although she sat under Sir Blake's pavillion,
her mind was still with the kind and gentle Lord Ulrich and the
wonderful time they had.  She remembered his smile and his laugh.  Now
he looked so lonely sitting under his pavillion by himself.  She
wondered if she could join him - but no! that would be rude to her host
and she did so want to be Queen of Love and Beauty or perhaps, the Most
Inspiring Consort?  But she did catch his eye and waved to him,
smilingly.  Perhaps she could talk to him later and thank him again for
such wonderful hospitality.  Perhaps, after court...

				Epilogue

	That night during court the winners of the Consort's Ransom Tournament
were presented.  The winner of the Tournament, the one with the most
consorts, was Sir Blake.  He was given a torse and mantle, a tooled
leather belt, with matching purse, dagger and sheath, and a book about
chivarly.  His consort was named "Queen of Love and Beauty" and given a
cap in the same colors of the torse and mantle, a book of sonnets, a
necklace of fine jewels, and a bouquet of flowers.

	Then came the real winners of the Tournament, those who gave their most
to make it enjoyable for others.  At the end of the tournament, all the
consorts and all the combatants were given tokens.  Each consort had
been given a stone to give to the best host and each combatant given a
rose to give to the most inspiring consort.  They had been asked to give
these to the person of their choice and then present the tokens to the
list mistress to count.  And if any wished to give word fame, they could
request a few minutes at court that night.

	"Would Lady Igraine and Lord Ulrich, please present themselves before
this court?" Called the herald.  Lord Ulrich escorted Lady Igraine up to
the Presence.  "We hear you have words about each other's deeds for this
day.  Who would go first?"  Lord Ulrich bowed to Lady Igraine and asked
that she speak first.  She thanked him and cleared her throat.  Then she
launched into a song about the man who fought bravely, died honorably
and gave his all to be the best host and how grand it made life seem.
And on the last note, the crowd broke into cheers and clapping for the
song so moved them.  When it died down, the Baron smiled and said softly
to Ulrich, "It looks like you have a tough act to follow."  Ulrich only
smiled in return and turned to face the crowd.  "And now you see why I
fought the way I did today.  This lady sat with me and mine under the
pavillion and made it a paradise.  I loathed to leave it and made short
work of my opponents so that I could return as quickly as I could.  My
lady, no greater inspiration could there be but you."  And the crowd
erupted again, with a few sobs and gasps from some of the other ladies.

	"And that is why we do present to you Lord Ulrich and Lady Igraine with
the prizes for the Best Host and the Most Inspiring Consort of the
Consort's Ransom Tournament.  Vivat!"  And Ulrich was presented with
gifts, among them a vase full of flowers, a decanter with matching
glasses, some serving dishes, and table linens.  Lady Igraine was given
a book of songs, jewelry, a recorder and a music book, and an oil lamp,
as well as other presents.  And all were invited to sit at the high
table to dine with the other nobility that attended there.

Thus ends the Springfaire saga.  Pray please come to our Springfaire
event and see some of the magic shown here.  I'm sure you will not be
disappointed.

Allessandre Desiderio