ES - Fwd: ANST - Crown!

Paul Mitchell Paul_Mitchell at Filemaker.com
Mon Apr 19 14:44:02 PDT 1999

I hereby forward -- an recommend -- this note from
the King.

- Galen
---------------- Begin Forwarded Message ----------------
Date:        04/19  3:54 PM
From:        Michael F. Gunter, michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
To:          ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG

Good Afternoon Ansteorra,

As you have heard, the 41st Crown tournament of Ansteorra was held in Bryn
Gwlad last weekend. The omens were good, as there was beautiful weather
at the magnificent site.

33 fighters declared their intent to strive to become the next ruler of
Ansteorra. Since the number was uneven, we asked Centurion Airaklee Wolf
stand as the bye. We had great faith in his fighting skill and in his
honor
and he proved our faith in the bouts.

Another fighter who proved our faith is Centurion Timotheus Kalamanos.
We announced his elevation to the Chivalry in that morning's court, and he
fought with the skill and chivalry for which he is known until his defeat
at the hands of Sir Daffydd in the semi-finals.

Sir Godwin of Eddington fought with such skill and honor that we awarded
him the King's Blade of Chivalry. Not for "placing second," but for
his outstanding performance throughout the day. There were several
others who were considered for this honor as well: Duke Kein, HL Airaklee,
HL Timo, Baron Llywelyn, and others. We think that it speaks well of the
list
that so many were worthy of this consideration. In fact, we are greatly
pleased with all the fighters. Ansteorra's Crown list is beginning to
get a reputation of being clean and fun. The tournament was visited by
His Majesty Outlands, Master Maelgwn, and he was both impressed and
surprised that fighters would joke and even yield bouts in a Crown.
Thank you, Ansteorra.

Gunthar was moved to present Sir Drake's squire (someone please post his
name as we've misplaced it) with a Sable Falcon, due to his wonderful
fights
against Sir Alexis, a knight of great renown. But it wasn't only his
fighting
that gained him the recognition, but the fact that this gentleman is also
major factor in the Western Region for the continuation of the Chivalric
arts.
A humble and impressive gentle indeed.

The final round was a dance of deadly beauty. Two fighters of great
worth and respect for the other circled and probed. Each desired the
victory
but desired it only to be won with honor. The clashes were fast and, well,
professional, as two knights should be. In the end Sir Godwin fell to an
amazing thrust by Sir Daffydd Whittaker. Blows were well-struck and
well-called, both knights should stand proud of their conduct that day.

As the populace surrounded Sir Godwin to offer congratulations on a
well-fought
list and condolences for the loss, Sir Daffydd went in search of his
lady, Baroness Octavia de Verdon, who could not bear to watch the
final round. Even as he brought her before us, she was overcome by the
emotion of the moment. We are assured of a wonderful reign of those
who are your heirs.

Other news from the tournament: we had the opportunity and the great
pleasure
of announcing the advancement of a lady we have found to have all the
qualities of a Peer to the Order of the Laurel .  Baroness Clarissa di
Firenze, one of the foremost cooks in the kingdom, has always been a
role-model to me and someone we admire greatly. We hope she decides to
have the ceremony during our reign.

Baron Leofric Ealdricson has been a steady hand and consummate leader
in the south for as long as we can remember. Not only as Baron of Loch
Sollier, but as a worker everywhere he goes, he has made Ansteorra
stronger.
He decided to be elevated at the announcement, probably so he could get
it over
with and go back to work. :-{)}

Ulsted the Unsteady's fighting was noticed months ago and the Centurions
voted to have him as a member of their Circle, but the man eluded us ever
since.
We finally caught up to him this weekend and the Circle was able to catch
him
in time to present him with the first Centurion cloak made. His fighting
that
day proved why he was selected.

We didn't have time to personally thank the people who did the feast
but we would like to use this public forum to offer them praise. To serve
a feast outdoors in cool temperatures is difficult, because the food
usually
cools so fast that it becomes unappealing. But in this case, the food was
served hot, and was wonderful. A heartfelt "Well Done" to the kitcheners!

On Sunday, there was an Invitational Pas des Armes in Honor of the Lady
Zaharra's wedding that day. We must admit that we were impressed with the
display on the field, the skill of the fighters, and especially of the
wagering going on the side.  Sir Emrys Shaunnon was presented with the
offer
of a signet ring for his abilities and honor, and the Soon-to-be-Sir
Timotheus
was declared the winner and given a torse and mantling as well as a prize
be named later.  We would like to thank the bride for inviting us to take
part
in her special day, and we wish Zaharra and Jovian a long and happy life
together.

On a final note, the Barony of Bryn Gwlad is to be commended for their
beautiful
decorations and wonderful site. The gate was the loveliest we've ever
seen.

We welcome our heirs with glad hearts, in anticipation of a joyous and
prosperous reign under their leadership.  To all of Ansteorra, be proud
and fear not. The future of the kingdom is in very good hands.

Yours,

Gunthar and Sara
Rex et Regina