ES - ozone alert

Jane Sitton-Logan/James D. Logan jesl at netzero.net
Wed Aug 11 22:02:46 PDT 1999

Bonjour from Madelina de Lindesaye!

You want statistics?  Fine.  Go to:

http://www.nrdc.org/find/aibresum.html
http://www.epa.gov/airnow/health/
http://ttnwww.rtpnc.epa.gov/naaqsfin/o3health.htm
http://www.epa.gov/airs/rvnono3.gif

As far as Randol Mill Park is concerned, I believe it is an isolated green spot
surrounded by concrete, and is also low lying.  We have had darn little wind for
the last several days.  Even longer since the last rain.  I'll bet you dollars
to doughnuts low lying spots are worse than higher elevations as far as air
quality goes.  Have you looked at the skyline of Fort Worth lately?  The smog is
settled down around the buildings, not up above them.  Arlington in right
between Fort Worth and Dallas.  In summer, the prevailing winds are usually out
of the south, but no wind means the smog stays right where it is.

As far as waiting until September, I'd say that is a good idea, unless you can
find an air conditioned  gym or rec center in which to practice.  You may feel
great now, but develop asthma over the course of several years.

My mother was a respiratory therapist before becoming a nurse.  What she saw
caused her to break a 30 year smoking habit cold turkey.  She said lung cancer
is a better way to go than emphysema because lung cancer kills relatively
quickly.  It can take 20 years or longer to die from emphysema, and you feel
yourself die a little more each day.  Ozone kills your lungs in increments as
well.  We just don't know how long it takes yet.

Amicalement,
Madelina.