ES - Warrior Baroness

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Wed Aug 18 05:57:18 PDT 1999

On Aug 17,  8:23pm, Vicki Marsh wrote:
> Subject: RE: ES - Warrior Baroness
> 		Valentyn wrote:
> 		Oh, THAT Warrior Baroness!
>
> 		Xena, Xene, Xaraxene...I get them so confused...
>
> Well, I was Xaraxeena long before Xena hit the airwaves.  That's what I
> get for choosing my name (and mutilating it horribly) from a Sci-fi
> fantasy book.
Hi,
	I have two stories to relay in a similar vane.
Case 1: A gentle showed up to his first event having spent some time thinking
of a good name.  He came up with one that should have been, Ivar of the Volga.
	Unfortunately, when he announced himself, people heard "Ivar the
Vulgar", which he is to this day.
Case 2: (me) When I first gone onto computer mail, I chose the name of a comic
book character.  After a while everyone, mundanely and otherwise, called me by
that name.  I couldn't figure out what I wanted for an SCA name, and one day
the Senechal said, "Hey XXXXXXXX, you forgot your tunic."  To which I
responded, "Thanks....Oh my God."
	It took me about three years to get people to stop calling me that name
mundanely, and I had to use a modification of the name, Seraphus (angel/seraph
in Latin, and I could explain it to people asked by pointing out it's
similarity Saroff) to get by in the SCA.  Eventually I got Sfi to stick when I
moved to a different group.
	The crowning glory was when a member of MidRealm Chivalry, upon hearing
my name in conversation (I was safely 400 miles away), said "Puncheminnaface,
kickeminnateeth, and that goes for your little dog too."  He wasn't actually
angry, that was just one of the lines in the comic book.  I met him later, and
he was a pretty cool dude.  He still gets a kick out of my name prediction at
the time, and tells me not to have "Conniptions" (another reference to the
comic book).

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff at pobox.com