ES - Soccer shoes?

Valentyn valentyn at home.com
Tue Aug 3 19:51:23 PDT 1999

Okay, I'll bite...
I just read the thousand messages regarding shoes.  In general, I'm very
much against legislating
clothing.  The more we restrict clothing choice, the less welcome the
Society becomes.

As far as the immediate issue goes, I'm all for a request to avoid the
blatantly mundane.  What
I'm wondering, however, is why this is such a hot issue?  I heard a lot of
grumbling about it before
Queen's, quite a bit AT Queen's, and now it's an issue for Defender.  Yet I
haven't actually *seen*
anyone wearing soccer cleats, golf shoes, or Air Jordans on the field.  I
noticed one fighter out of
65+ wearing jeans at Queen's, but that was a bit too subtle to ruin my SCA
experience.  What
brought all this on?

Valentyn

>Please remember that His Excellency is trying to make this game better, is
not after those people who have leather hiking >boots or such, but is trying
to stop the blatantly modern, and those items which in the blatant
modernality might give unfair >advantages (ie : Soccer shoes with spiked
soles give much better traction, tear up the listfield, and always are
marked with >very modern symbolism which does not encourage the dream.)