ES - ozone alert

Jane Sitton-Logan/James D. Logan jesl at netzero.net
Wed Aug 11 19:41:07 PDT 1999

Bonjour from Madelina de Lindesaye!

I hate to disagree with the most esteemed Vicount Galen on an issue,
but I must do so in regards to his comment, "Yes, today is an ozone
action day, but that refers to carpooling and not mowing your lawn,
not to atheletic (sic) endeavors."

The following is from a Star-Telegram article of June 14, 1998:

By Neil Strassman, Star-Telegram Staff Writer

"Today is an ozone alert day, and state officials say that means
that Metroplex residents should
back off on exercise and do their best to curtail activities that
release ozone- producing
chemicals.

"If at all possible: Carpool or ride the bus, don't exercise
outdoors, don't mow the lawn or use
gas- powered lawn equipment, avoid idling vehicles excessively, get
gas in the afternoon, make
sure the gas cap is on tight and limit the use of oil-based paints
and varnishes.

"People with chronic lung or heart disease, as well as children and
the elderly, should stay
indoors and avoid exertion.

"Ozone is the atmospheric mix formed when volatile hydrocarbon
compounds -- like gasoline
fumes -- are heated in sunlight and combine with pollutants such as
nitrogen oxides emitted from
motor vehicles, power plants and industry. It is a lung and eye
irritant and precursor to the
formation of smog."

I, for one, find it difficult to just breathe normally on ozone
alert days.  I can't imagine trying to breathe after strenuous
activity.  If you happen to have asthma, you shouldn't even be
outdoors.

Also, keep in mind that the heat advisories urge limiting activity
as well to avoid heat stroke.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade (well, then again, maybe I
do.... We could sure use it!), but an ozone action day combined with
a heat advisory sounds like just about the worst day to put on armor
and get active.

How 'bout some combat embroidery or dueling bards indoors savoring
the Anachronistic air conditioning instead?

Just a thought.

Concerned for your health,
Madelina.