ES - Elfsea Defender

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Tue Aug 3 10:33:34 PDT 1999

On Aug 3, 11:57am, Rayburn, Timothy wrote:

> The arguement you have laid forth is interesting, but fails in that what
> Kingdom Law says, (of which I am taking your word on), does nothing more
> than what alot of our Kingdom law does in a variety of areas : Place
> FURTHER strictures than corpora does.  Just as there are minimal
> requirements put out for fighting by the Society, and the Kingdom has
> the rules maintained by the Earl Marshall which expand and add to this.
	I would check with the Earl Marshal, as there might be some issues
there.
> Please remember that His Excellency is trying to make this game better,
> is not after those people who have leather hiking boots or such, but is
> trying to stop the blatantly modern, and those items which in the
> blatant modernality might give unfair advantages (ie : Soccer shoes with
> spiked soles give much better traction, tear up the listfield, and
> always are marked with very modern symbolism which does not encourage
> the dream.)

	If it is an aesthetic problem, that the rules should be clearly defined
and placed in Black Star and on the web site.  The rules need to be publicised
in advance, so that people have a chance to take steps (be they spats or a
black magic marker) to modify their foot wear or to practice and get used to a
new set.  To do otherwise ensures blisters at a minimum, and risks more severe
injuries.  This needs to go out (and being posted to the Elfsea list does not
qualify) NOW.
	Here is a sample rule (based on what I've heard here):
1) All footgear must be of period coloration, typically brown or black, and
emblems (Swoosh, etc) must be masked.
2) Other shoes are acceptable if spats are worn is a period color scheme.

	It probably should have a bit more detail, but the above is something
that someone can read in a Black Star, and understand, and take appropriate
steps with some warning.
	As to the "Unfairness" of cleats or some similar non-period sole
system, you are asking people to risk your health to satisfy your sense of
aesthetics.  These devices do not give any serious advantage, they keep people
from getting hurt.  If the issue is concern for the "period effects", then we
should require much heavier shields (metal banded 10mm thick wood shields),
which give far more advantage than a shoe would.

--
--Sfi Mordehai ben Yosef Yitzhak, Aka Matthew G. Saroff

This is not the Dream.  This is what I do on weekends to have some fun.

The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool
Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries,
satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.
Check http://www.pobox.com/~msaroff, including The Bad Hair Web Page
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes