ES - Elfsea Defender

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Tue Aug 3 11:35:48 PDT 1999

Hi,
On Aug 3,  2:05pm, DonnelShaw at AOL.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: ES - Elfsea Defender
> In a message dated 08/03/1999 12:33:08 PM EST, saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
> writes:
>
> <<  If it is an aesthetic problem, that the rules should be clearly defined
>  and placed in Black Star and on the web site.  The rules need to be
> publicised
>  in advance, >>
> Here we go again. Publish rules make things harder on people. Oh if it is not
> a written rule we can't in-force it sorry.
	You are missing the point ENTIRELY.  Their excellencies have just said
that in order to play a certain game (Fighting) at a certain event (Defender),
there will be conditions that are out of the ordinary.
	Presenting someone with a vague sentence is a BAD thing.  It creats
confusion and bad feelings.  If someone has to run out and spend money on boots
on the day of the event, or they discover that their existing footgear was
adequate, and they just dumped money down the toilet for some profoundly
uncomfortable shoes will be upset and justifiably so.
	MAKING RULES (and the rules have already been made) THAT ARE NEVER
CLEARLY SPELLED OUT IS INCONSIDERATE AND RUDE.  "I know it when I see it" is
the rule of a tyrant.  And not clearly stating these rules open up everyone
involved to charges of bias and favoritism.
> SCA has gone to this rule writing. What happen to the founding principal of
> SCA that we would live how Arthur would have lived and promote the values.
> What happened to us all behaving because we all knew the proper way to behave
> not because a rule was written down.  We are not promoting these values it we
> always have to have a list of rules.
	I would remind you that the example of Arthur and Le Mort d'Arthur, was
used to ban fencing in the Kingdom of the West.  That kind of vague bovine
scatology is all over the SCA, and it's used to put people down more often than
it is used to help.
> Teach in new classes. Donna, Gwen, and Mara has always done that. They do a
> great job. Mentoring a new person has been done for years and those are the
> people who stay and build the organization.  If you want to solve the problem
> with the boots give a class on correct footwear on the field at a fighter
> practice. Write an article for the local and kingdom newsletter. That is how
> to reach people and get them on your side.  Teach TEACH!!!!
	There isn't a PROBLEM.  There is a REQUIREMENT.  This needs to be
communicated clearly and concisely.  It's isn't about converting people, it's
about making them understand what is expected of them.  Get a clue.

--
--Sfi Mordehai ben Yosef Yitzhak, Aka Matthew G. Saroff

This is not the Dream.  This is what I do on weekends to have some fun.

The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool
Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries,
satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.
Check http://www.pobox.com/~msaroff, including The Bad Hair Web Page
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes