ES - Repeated messages

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Aug 30 05:10:47 PDT 1999

Galen here, back from Caid...

Estella Flather wrote:

> Hey folks-
> Please do not hit the return to sender button repeatedly. My email got
> messed up again because there were messages that hed gone back and forth
> over a dozen times and my email couldn't download the piled on messages, so
> my computer got stuck in the trying to call up mail circuit.

I think what Stella is talking about here is the practice of simply
hitting
the "reply" and then typing your answer to a post above it.  Then
someone
else hits "reply" to answer the second note, and so another post with
three
messages in it gets posted.  Then the third note is replied to, then the
fourth, and those of us with slower modems and lower-power computers
begin
having problems when this happens repeatedly.

The solution is to edit the note you reply to, so that people have
enough
information to know what you're replying to, but don't have to wade
through
the same several long messages numerous times.  This is a matter of
courtesy,
but if it presents technical problems, I'd be happy to help you with
them.

- Galen