ES - Elfsea Defender

Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Mon Aug 2 15:56:20 PDT 1999

"Marsh, Todd W." wrote:

> The SCA has always had a rule that everyone must make "some attempt at
> period clothing" to attend an event.
>
> Please help spread the word that this rule will be enforced at Elfsea
> Defender on the list field.  This means that people wearing excessively
> mundane clothes or SHOES will not be allowed to enter the tournaments.
>
> Any questions?

A couple of questions, actually...

Obviously, T-shirt, jeans and Reboks would be right out, no argument.

The grey areas would be of more concern. How would "excessively mundane"
clothes or shoes be defined and by whom? Will newcomers be held to a
different standard than veterans? How about veteran players who are
newbie fighters? When does a newbie lose newbie status? What if two
fighters are wearing the same or very similar boots but one is denied a
tournament and the other gets to play? I know that if I were not allowed
to fight due to such a rule, I would be taking a very careful inventory
of EVERY fighter's gear. I don't feel that is the spirit of what we are
doing here.

I agree that everyone, including myself, needs to take steps to
eliminate as much mundanity as possible, however, I now feel a little
nervous about a planned purchase of new boots to fight in. What if they
(for example) are deemed inappropriate for what will likely be the first
actual tourney I have fought in? Not a nice first tourney experience.

Lord Robert of Slugglen

--
-------------------------

Robert Singleton

Robert of Slugglen
House Mac An Ghabhann
Canton of Loch Ruadh
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Planet Earth
The Sol System
The Milky Way
Universe Unspecified

People need to give Bill Clinton a little slack. He is doing the work of
three men:
Larry, Curly, and Moe.