ES - Medieval Cookbook references and new music

Sue Dittrich dittrich at flash.net
Mon Aug 9 12:41:10 PDT 1999

Hello everyone!

     I have recently purchased a new reference for period cooking--it's great!  It is called "The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy".  This is a very good resource, with modern adaptations of period recipes from primary sources. With each recipe is a "tidbit" of information about that particular recipe or the subject in general (for instance--it's noted next to the "roast beef" recipe that most meats, especially beef becasue it was considered "unhealthy",  were boiled and poultry was considered the finest of meats).  There is an extensive introduction about the use, presentation, and role of food in medieval society (besides the obvious--nourishment).   The source of each recipe is quoted (as translated into English) and then is presented in its original language at the back of the book.  The primary resource list is incredible, and very well documented, and the recipes look wonderful.  This a great book for even the most novice of cooks.
    I also purchased (Amazon.com is getting a lot of business from me lately!) a  CD of Elizabethan music entitled "Elizabethan Consort Music" performed by Hesperion XX.  It's just beautiful, amd played on period instruments.  I highly reccommend this CD to any interested!
    I hope to see everyone at Fool's Revel!

In Service,

Lady Genevieve de la Gamba
Former Rapier Guardian of Dragonsfire Tor
Lady-in-Waiting to Baronness Xene Therianos
Matron, House Silver Moon