ES - some more good news

Jane Sitton-Logan/James D. Logan jesl at netzero.net
Wed Aug 11 19:26:02 PDT 1999

Bonjour from Madelina de Lindesaye!

More good news (though I doubt I can make it to Foole's Revel :( ):
I have been hired to work at Flashnet Communications.  I started
last Friday.  This is very good since my lord husband, Laird
Loganaich (Logan the smith) had to end his employment with Laurel
Land a week or so after he started due to health problems.  (The
hernia repair came undone.  Looks like more surgery is in store.
Can't have good news without a little bad to temper it, huh?)  So it
is great to be among the employed again.  Things were getting kind
of thin.

Also, Logan's apprentice, Lord Erik Mustakaora, closed the deal on
some property between Cleburne and Joshua.  He will be moving out
there into a trailer after it is fenced and has utilities
connected.  He and Logan are already discussing house plans.  Logan,
of course, votes for the ferro-cement technique of building.
(Anything involving iron is great if you ask him.)

And before anyone sends me flames pointing out that Logan is not a
Laurel, I am not "officially" claiming anything.  All I know is that
I was a student when I went to school, but what Lord Erik is
learning at the forge goes beyond being just a student.  In any
case, Logan says Lord Erik will become a journeyman just as soon as
Erik has the time to learn how to make tools, which is apparently
more difficult than most other items.  Lord Erik is remarkably
gifted for one who did not begin his apprenticeship as a child,
according to Logan.

By the way, if my use of the word "apprentice" got anyone's knickers
in a twist, the following web site:
http://www.sca.org/docs/corpora.hbk.html
provides us with:
" 4. Styles and Unrecognized Titles. Names and terms that imply
relationships between
        Society members (such as apprentice, page, squire, etc.) or
that carry vocational
        connotations (religious, military, scholarly, etc.) may be
used in the Society on an
        informal basis, subject to the following restrictions:

            a. They must not assert or imply noble rank or
territorial jurisdiction.

            b. They must not be offensive in themselves or in the
context in which they are
            used.

            c. They may carry no precedence and must not be used in
any manner which
            would suggest that they do so."

I have myself heard Baron Arthur of the Fen say to Laird Loganaich,
"greetings, Master blacksmith". So I use the term "apprentice" to
refer to Logan's pupils in that regard.

Being overly partial, I of course wish my lord husband to be the
recipient of lavish praise and accolades for his dedication to and
skill in blacksmithing, which he considers to be both an art and a
science.  But he has no interest in awards.  In fact, he had been in
the Society for ten years or so before he was dragged away from the
forge and into Patrick Michael's court to receive his Sable
Thistle.  Laird Logan's main desire is to pass on his learning.  He
has served the Kingdom in his own quiet ways.  He will teach anyone,
child or adult, the principles of blacksmithing if they have the
patience to learn.  And despite being Scottish, he has repaired
armor for Ansteorran fighters at Pennsic and Estrella free of charge
in order to keep them on the field, and also upon occasion even
donated various iron implements to good causes (though they have to
be darn good causes to get a Scotsman to donate!).

But I digress.  I did not mean to step on to a soapbox.  I'm just
glad to be working, that's my main point.  Maybe soon we will be
able to see some of you again.  (Maybe even renew our memberships?
Wouldn't that be nice!)

Amicalement,
Madelina

p.s.  Don't anyone tell Logan what I wrote, okay?... I'm going to
delete it from the sent and received boxes.  He hates for me to talk
about stuff like this!