ES - Yule Question

Estella Flather eflather at flash.net
Fri Dec 3 11:07:23 PST 1999

Greetings from Mistress Stella-
I have looked in my trusty Hortus, and it says that Poinsettias are native
to Mexico and Central America. Commercial cultivation was probably not done
until relatively recently. However, it is a species, not a hybrid, so the
plant itself existed in period, although more showy cultivars have been
developed by selective breeding. It probably was not available to be used
for decorating until modern times.
More period would be the use of greenery, like pine boughs, and holly
berries.
In service, Mistress Stella Silvana