ES - Yule Question

Einarr Thorbjarnarsson einarr_t at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:31:52 PST 1999

About poinsettias, they are not period.  I'm a bit new to this list, so,
this may be repeat information.  I included my source at the bottom of the
list for those who are curious.  It's from Texas A&M so insert your favorite
Aggie joke here.
    BUT. . .
    Whether or not to include them is an SCA function is up to the group
hosting the event.  This whole thing seems to be a new variant of the
"Authenticity Mavin/ Fun Mavin" debate.  Personally, as a society we need
both types.  The authentic, detailed recreation is something to admire and
lends credibility to what we do.  However, let's face it, we are in this for
fun, too.   It's vital that we have both sides, which makes SCA what it is.

Ld. Einarr

Accoring to info at:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/greenhouse/guides/poinsettia/history.html
    Although the poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherima) is among the most
traditional symbols of the Christmas season,it was cultivated by the Aztecs
of Mexico long before the introduction of Christianity to the Western
Hemisphere. These plants were highly prized  by Kings Netzahualcyotl and
Montezuma, but because of climatic restrictions could not be grown in their
capital, which is now Mexico City.

     Perhaps the first religious connotations were placed on poinsettias
during the seventeenth century. Because of its brilliant color and holiday
blooming time Franciscan priests, near Taxco, began to use the flower in the
Fiesta of Santa Pesebre, a nativity procession.

     Poinsettias were first introduced into the United States in 1825 by
Joel Robert Poinsett.  While serving as the first U.S. ambassador to Mexico,
he had occasion to visit Taxco and found the plants growing on adjacent
hillsides. Poinsett, a botanist of great ability,  had some plants sent to
his home in Greenville, South Carolina.

     After supplying his own greenhouses, Poinsett also distributed plants
to various  botanical gardens and to some horticultural friends, including
John Bartram of Philadelphia. Bartram, in turn, supplied the plant to Robert
Buist, a nurseryman, who  first sold the plant as Euphorbia poinsettia. The
botanical name had already been given by a German taxonomist in 1833 as
Euphorbia pulcherima. The poinsettia, however, has remained the accepted
name in English speaking countries.