ES - Yule Question

GulesBaron at AOL.com GulesBaron at AOL.com
Sun Dec 5 21:00:28 PST 1999

Maybe they are period and maybe they are not.  The real question is does, it
matter?  Dave Thewlis (Founder of the SCA) insists that there will always be
the anachronisms and that in the SCA there are two types of anachronisms.
The first is that of the middle ages existing in the 20th (almost the 21st)
century and the second being a medieval life style being portrayed with 20th
century materials.  The SCA was supposed to provide an educational and
recreational experience by using the best of both worlds.  To make matters
worse Mr. Thewlis goes on to say that the SCA was not formed to cater to the
serious medieval scholar.  It is in fact living theater.  I think that for a
scadian we should think about not the periodicity of what we do but weather
it is blatantly un-medieval.  Surely we are taking ourselves much too
seriously if we have to worry about the authenticity of poinsettias.