ES - Kids and SCA

Delvos & Daungerous thefray at flash.net
Mon Dec 13 20:25:47 PST 1999

From: Richard Culver <rbculver at hotmail.com>
To: <elfsea at Ansteorra.ORG>
Cc: <steppes at Ansteorra.ORG>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 7:17 PM
Subject: ES - Kids and SCA

> Greetings!
>
>    I have some questions about being a parent in the SCA.
>    Do you pick persona names for them at this age (for example "Wulfric
> Cyniricing") or let them go by their mundane names until theu are old
enough
> to decide?

There is a really nice article in the SCA Handbook from an adult who grew up
in the SCA.  I thought her advice was sound and followed it.  It was
basically to let the children decide how much they would like to be
involved, not to force them into activities they're not interested in.  I
let my children decide whether or not to have a new name.  I told them it
was like a game and they could "pretend" to be whoever they wanted to.  Of
course, it got interesting when my daughter wanted to be a princess (*_*).
They became more interested in the different cultures while we tried to help
them find a "new" name/persona.  But, they were 8 and 11 when we started
playing.  Telling period stories on the way to an event helped alot,
especially the far away ones.  Four years later, they LOVE the SCA and
you're right about the camping thing, it's a wonderful family experience.
It's so easy to get caught up in TV and other mundane acitivities, that
being at an event is like having 10 mundane days together.

> The again if he developes a thing for, say, 14th century Tunisia, he may
not
> be able to get people to think of him that way (that is without moving and
> disowning me).  There are also variations of his first and middle names
> (Richard Heinrich) I can use such as Ricihard, Richeard, Henry, Heinrich,
> Henric.....

My son has recently decided to change his name and persona.  He looks so
different (towers over most us) that I don't think it's been a problem for
him.  His activities are also different so he interacts with new people
anyway.  Besides, he will always be Daungerous's son, no matter how old he
gets.

>     I would just like to know what is like for parents at various stages
of
> children's lives.  I am divorced and the SCA is a good to travel to see my
> son (lives in Stargate), take him camping, and still keep him happy.  So I
> would like to make it as much his as my hobby.

Eventing takes a certain amount of work.  The rule in our family is that it
is a FAMILY activity and everyone must help out.  There is sometimes
grousing about the packing, setting up and tearing down (kids are kids), but
when the offer of not going is made (we never force an event on anyone in
the family), it is quickly declined and much sighing ensues and we get back
to work.  Don't tell anyone, but these are my favorite parts, because we are
all together, working towards our common goal.  We may not recall all the
activities that we had at an event, but we SURE remember packing up in the
6" of mud, driving around looking for the site for 2 hours, trying to get
everything back in the van and how great it was that we packed that
thingamajig that we couldn't live without.  It's also the best training
ground, IMHO, for teaching manners, respect for rules and many other things
that have already attracted you to the SCA.  I can't think of any other
activity that you would give you more opportunities of bonding with your
son, and create memories that will last a lifetime for both of you.

Sorry to go on so long, but you touched on a subject near and dear to my
heart.

Daungerous, who believes that the SCA is the greatest family activity there
is!!
Pretty is as pretty does.
http://www.flash.net/~ddancer/index.html