ES - Humble Apologies

Armand Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Thu Dec 30 13:18:35 PST 1999

Greetings,

Today at 8:45 am, a truck hit a pole outside of my warehouse. The accident
snapped the pole and all the businesses on my street lost both power and
telephone service. A new pole was put up and services were restored around 2
pm. During the outage, access to the Elfsea.Org site was impossible and any
mail intended for myself or Ameline did not make it. I wish to extend my
apologies to any of you who may have been inconvienianced by the lack of
access to the baronial site and to the Elfsea List Admininstrator for any
trouble due to bounced messages. Things should be in order now. The January
calendar will be put online as soon as possible once I receive the info.
(However, I will be unable to make any updates between 4 pm on 12/31/1999
thru 10 pm on 01/01/2000.)

I hope everyone has a safe and fun New Year's celebration. With all the Y2K
hype, that was one of the first things that came to mind when our services
were cut this morning. (It's starting early, or they're doing a fire drill.)
I don't think anything like that will happen, but it did remind me how much
we depend on those two services. (A longer delay could have made a mess of
the refridgerator :-) The utility companies did respond amazingly fast,
especially considering that a new hole for a new pole had to be drilled,
which required an actual person from not only TU Electric & Southwestern
Bell, but also Lone Star Gas and the Water department to locate potential
underground dangers before drilling. The scene was a bit surreal with
firetrucks, police, phone trucks, utility company trucks and the street
blocked off. (Or maybe it was because I worked all last night and laid down
on the couch at 7am to be woke up at 8:45am and I was not quite all there
yet. :-)

Thinking of Y2K problems, which I believe will be few if any, I couldn't
help but recall a quote from a recent US News & World Report 'Quotables'
column. Regarding the purchase of a gun, a lady said, "I'd rather have it
and not need it than need it and not have it." I think that might at least
be applicable to things like flashlights, batteries, ice chests, candles,
etc. (I sell flashlights & batteries, so of course I 'd think that :-)
Hmmmm....it sure would be better to have a spare ballcock or P-Trap and not
need it, than to need it and not have it...don't ya think? :-)

Happy New Year,
-=Armand=-