ES - Kids and SCA

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 17:17:58 PST 1999

Greetings!

   I have some questions about being a parent in the SCA.

   What are the biggest challenges with sharing this with young children?
(For a reference, my son is 3 1/2 years old)

   Do you pick persona names for them at this age (for example "Wulfric
Cyniricing") or let them go by their mundane names until theu are old enough
to decide?

    Should I register my son with the Ministry of Children?

    I probably have more, but my head is not on very straight right now.

     I kind of like giving my son a name a registering it.  He likes wolves,
his mundane nickname is Ric, and Cyniricing would be the proper patronymic.
The again if he developes a thing for, say, 14th century Tunisia, he may not
be able to get people to think of him that way (that is without moving and
disowning me).  There are also variations of his first and middle names
(Richard Heinrich) I can use such as Ricihard, Richeard, Henry, Heinrich,
Henric.....

    I would just like to know what is like for parents at various stages of
children's lives.  I am divorced and the SCA is a good to travel to see my
son (lives in Stargate), take him camping, and still keep him happy.  So I
would like to make it as much his as my hobby.

Thank you,
Cyniric Cyniwarding