ES - Yule Question

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 08:42:31 PST 1999

>From: GulesBaron at AOL.com
>Maybe they are period and maybe they are not.  The real question is >does,
>it matter?  I think that for a scadian we should think about >not the
>periodicity of what we do but whether it is blatantly un->medieval.  Surely
>we are taking ourselves much too seriously if we >have to worry about the
>authenticity of poinsettias.

It depends on what you want to do.  I find that there are two dimensions to
work on in the SCA:  using the materials used by our 'ancestors' and using
the method of working with those materials.  Most of us try to use the
materials they would have : natural fibers in our clothes, metal or wood
serving dishes, etc., but some do not, especially when it is cheaper not to
(plastic goblets that look like glass, rayon instead of silk, etc.)

And some will even use the methods of making the objects that we use in
everyday, and some will take "shortcuts" (ie machine sewing vs.
handstitching, etc).

I think that using poinsettas in Christmas decoration is a "they would have
used these if they'd had them" dimension.  Our 'ancestors' might not have
had these materials, but they might have used them in this method if present
then.

It all depends which dimensions you wish to use in your enjoyment of our
hobby.

Ciao,

Allessandre