ES - Kids and SCA

Vicki Marsh vicki_marsh at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 07:18:36 PST 1999

Greetings, Elfsea!!
Baroness Xene here.

My son's first event was when he was five days old.  He is now 9 1/2.

I did not call him anything but Anthony or Anthony Michael (when he was
really in trouble) until he chose his persona.  We were on the way back from
Gulf War almost two years ago and he got this far off look in his eyes and
said "Mama, I want to be a Viking!"

Considering that I am Byzantine, and his step-father, Llywelyn is a Welsh
Elizabethan, we looked at each other and said "A Viking?  Oh, no, what have
we done wrong?!"  Then we collected our wits and talked about it.  We got
children's books on the topic and talked to some area SCA Norse experts and
discussed names.  Last year at Defender, when Llywelyn was made a White
Scarf and I received the Laurel, we also had a private naming ceremony in
the Norse encampment.  He was named Arnbjorn Ulfsson, and was given his own
drinking horn.

My persona history includes being the granddaughter and the daughter of
Varangian Guards in Miklegard, so it really isn't so outlandish for our
personas to coincide.

Actually, this topic for this SpringFaire is based on his persona as well.
We had a Byzantine SpringFaire, and an Elizabethan SpringFaire, so now we
are doing the Norse theme.

As far as parenting in the SCA, always bring more clothes and shoes for them
than you think you will need.  They will get wet, they will get dirty, they
will forget to go to the bathroom, they will get messy.  Have and extra
clean set in the car for when you leave - especially underwear.  Have a
blanket in the car for them to wrap up in.

When they are old enough to get their own food when they are hungry, they
need their own small ice chest and food box.  That way they can graze all
day and not ruin your food.  I have found that Lunchables, individually
wrapped string cheese, small bags of grapes, hard-boiled eggs and juice
boxes are wonderful things for the ice chest.  For dry foods, beef jerky,
raisins, granola bars, favorite cereals in small ziplock bags, and nuts of
some kind make good kid food.

In other words, hungry and cold children are miserable and will make your
life miserable, too.

As far as tenting, I had a large tent, and got Anthony his own little dome
tent when he was about 4 years old.  I started putting his little tent up
inside my big tent.  It was warmer and more cozy for him, and gave me a
small measure of privacy.

This last year, he got to pick his own tent out.  He is responsible for
setting it up (usually with my help) and taking it down.

Good Luck with your son!!

In Service,

Baroness Xene, OL