ES - virus warning - from ListAdmin

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Tue Dec 21 11:49:24 PST 1999

On Dec 21,  1:05pm, Rayburn, Timothy wrote:
> Since this virus affects Outlook users, it has access to their
> addressbook, which is why lots of folks Gilli knows got the message.  It
> is very likely using the Sent Mail folder to capture subject lines you
> hace used as well.  The full text from Symantec.Com (makers of Norton
> Anti-Virus, a very reputable source) is included below.  I do not
> believe this is a case of someone abusing the list, simply a more
> widespread infection that happen to hit Ansteorra at ansteorra.org which we
> have alot of cross-subscribers to, etc.
	As I spend at least 1/2 of my time using Unix mailers, I can say that
it's not particularly compatible with the rest of the world.  It's also
spectacularly unsecure.  Eudora light and Pegasus mail are free, and far less
susceptible to this sort of stuff.

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff at pobox.com