ES - Volunteering at Gulf War

Paul Mitchell Paul_Mitchell at Filemaker.com
Mon Feb 8 12:46:16 PST 1999

Galen here!

Attending Candlemas in Bryn Gwlad this past weekend, I happened
to learn something new, which I thought I'd share with you.  As
many of you know, my sister is the new Acting Kingdom Treasurer,
charged with bringing the Kingdom's financial affairs up to date.
I stayed at her house over the weekend.

One of the many tasks she's catching up on is the task of
distributing the money due to the branches from their volunteers
at the last Gulf War.  I hadn't realized it, but local branches
get money based on their members' volunteer work.  To put it another
way, not only are you helping Ansteorra win the war by volunteering,
but you're also making money for Elfsea.  Through a complex
calculation I'm not familiar with, it has been determined that
each group is due $1.55 per volunteer hour from the last war.

Last year, Ansteorra won the volunteer point.  Running away.
Ansteorrans volunteered far, far more than Trimarians did.
Now for the other fun thing I learned.  I got to look over the
raw volunteer numbers.  More people volunteered from Elfsea
and Loch Ruadh than any other branch.  And Elfsea people put
in more time by far than any other branch.  Three Loch Ruadh
members put in 5 hours each for a total of 15 hours.

Four Elfsea members _each_ put in 19 or more hours:  Lova,
Aradon, Llywelyn, and Ceilen.  Elfsea combined put in 189
volunteer hours at the Gulf War, TWICE what any other branch
did.  All of Elfsea together put in over 200 volunteer hours!

There'll be check for around $250 in the mail to the
barony very soon. Nice fundraiser.

I lived in 8 years in Bryn Gwlad before I moved to Elfsea
5 years ago.  Visiting my former home, I saw old friends,
marvelled at how their children had grown, talked to new
people and old, and saw Bryn Gwlad showing off its best.
And I was very glad to get home to Elfsea.  I would not
trade any two of our problems for one of theirs, nor any
one of our people for two of theirs.  Elfsea is just better.

- Galen
Still Proud to Live Where
Life is Good, in Elfsea