ES - What group used this site?

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Mon Jul 19 13:36:06 PDT 1999

On Jul 19,  4:00pm, DonnelShaw at AOL.com wrote:
> Subject: Re: ES - What group used this site?
> In a message dated 7/19/99 1:55:14 PM EST, rbnew at ftw.nrcs.usda.gov writes:
>
> << A little camping etiquette wouldn't hurt, either!
>
>  /Lady Elizabeth Hawkwood
>  (Who's on her way to Washington, DC, to meet
>  with the Sec. of Agriculture and Vice President
>  Al Gore -- anybody got a "Bush Button?") >>
> You go girl!!!
Hi,
	While I am not particularly fond of the Disney Animatronic entity known
as Al Gore, it does seem to me that making the statement that one will be
wearing something simply to offend while posting about "etiquette" is not
particularly coherent.
<Miss_Manners
	Etiquette and politeness need to come from a legitimate concern for
other people and society as a whole.  Simply doing so when it serves your
purpose, as in the camping example above sets a bad example, particularly when
taking NO action is the polite thing.
	Sometimes one may forgo the extra effort to be polite, but this is
different from taking extra effort to be rude, which the above case of
scrounging up a button is.
	That being said, it is not rude to muse on such with close friends,
which very well could apply to the list, and the etiquette of .sigs is
different from other forms of human discourse.  I am rather more disappointed
by the comments being made.
	Imagine a situation where one were to wear the arms of a banished
person into court to place this in an SCA context.
	To give another example, know of some people who were discussing the
conversion to Judiasm of someone not present.  After listing the litany of
brutality in the past 2000 years, some one made the comment to the effect of,
"It's like painting a target on your t-shirt".
	This is amusing and not rude.
	However, one of the people involved the conversation then conveyed this
to the subject of the conversation, which was not amusing and was rude (and
arguably hurtful).
 </Miss_Manners>
	That being said, wearing a Bill Bradley button would be far funnier,
and worse than being rude in the pursuit of a joke is to be not particularly
funny.  But only hypothetically. ;-)

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff at pobox.com