ES - Youth Boffer

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Jul 21 13:37:56 PDT 1999

>Hi,
> One note on boffers:  when I was up north, there were a fair number of
>boffer groups, and I noticed a lot of people moving from boffers to SCA would
>have to work hard to lose bad habits (they worked with boffers, just not with
>something more closely approximately the weight and force of real weapons).
> I knight up there, when I made this observation, noted that he found
>the same sort of thing when sabre fencers tried to do heavy.
> This has NO bearing on the safety of the activity (if anything, they
>are over protectinf: I think that the helmet requirement is in fact a bit
>excessive, eye protection should be fine), but it should be explained to the
>participants that it is not the same as, nor is it really training for, Rattan.
>
>--
>Matthew Saroff

Sfi,

If I take take my 10-year-old, teach him to lose
and win equally well, teach him to call blows,
conduct himself with chivalry and courtesy, keep
his temper, understand the rules, know what's
happening on the field, learn techniques for
attack and defense, speak well on the field,
respond properly to "hold", look good on the field,
accept criticism and praise in proper perspective
and maintain an interest in the SCA, then I've done
quite a lot to prepare him to fight with rattan weapons.
Which, under this program, he can start using against
his own age group at age 16.

Galen of Bristol