ES - Introduction

davihayes at na.ko.com davihayes at na.ko.com
Wed Jul 14 09:53:44 PDT 1999

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm new to this list, and the Barony, and
give everyone a bit of background on myself and my family. Some of you may have
remembered meeting me at the fighter practices I've attended thus far and have
heard this story, so this is mostly for those I've not yet met.

First, my tentative SCA name is Dunstan Cenegehygd and my tentative persona will
be as an Anglo-Saxon of the 9th or 10th century. I say tentative because I'm
still doing some research into the period and haven't made any final decisions.
For those of you who've met me, I've been introducing myself by my mundane name
of David but I hope to train myself to use "Dunstan" instead. I usually have one
or both of my two boys with me and they've adopted the names of Redwald (my
older son Zachary, 12) and Aelfric (younger son Ethan, 8) in the spirit of
"playing" with gusto.

My experience with the SCA is rather odd. I first got interested as a teenager
when I lived in Phoenix, AZ and participated in a couple of events but never
really was fully linked in to life in the Society. At that time I did put on
armor to try out heavy combat a couple of times (even fought very briefly in one
melee), but lacking the skill and resources to put together my own suit of
armor, it was a rather hit and miss thing and only lasted for a few months.

The bug must have still been with me, because during my junior year in college
(in New York) I organized a shire which was called the Freelords of Stonekeep
(part of the Barony of the Swamp in the Kingdom of the East). I served as
Seneschal for two years, but again, never got to do any fighting because of the
logistics of making and maintaining the armor and assorted gear that goes along
with heavy fighting. We were however, as only a bunch of male college students
can be, quite enamored with the assorted revels and events we were able to
attend during that time.

Now, after 15 years of marriage, I've finally decided to "play" again. I told my
wife one day that I was tired of my life consisting solely of acting as a
spectator at my kids' events and wanted to do something fun myself. That desire
eventually led me to visit a fighter practice or two and then get serious about
participating fully in the heavy combat side of the SCA. At the time, I wasn't
certain any of the rest of my family would share my interest, but my two boys
have proven to be just like their dad and are keenly interested. My oldest son,
courtesy of the kindly words of Lord Valentyn a couple of weeks ago, is very
eager to participate in youth rapier combat and my youngest son can't wait for
the new boffer rules to surface.

I've greatly enjoyed my time with members of the Barony so far and must say that
my boys and I have felt a great deal of friendliness and willingness to put up
with 'newbie' mistakes from everyone we've met. Thanks all and I hope to see
many of you at fighter practice this evening.

Dunstan

P.S. Virgil, would it be possible for you, or someone else who's planning on
coming, to bring the loaner armor tonight? Thanks very much.