ES - [Fwd: SCA in the news]

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Jul 19 11:26:57 PDT 1999

>Better public relations. The council believed that the SCA group
>knew they had underestimated the attendance and declared a smaller
>number to avoid the regulations on larger events. This is probably
>not true. They should have talked with the local authorities and
>established some raport. If they had, there would be less suspicion.
>
>We need to talk to the local authorities (city council, police, fire)
>in Canton and other event sites to establish a dialogue. Invite them
>to observe the parts of the event with great public appeal (tournaments,
>courts, etc.) If they feel they are a part of the event, then they are
>likely to defend us rather than criticize us.
>
>Caelin

I agree with this so much that we did this at ATYC.
Master Richard, Lady Arabella and took great pains
to make sure that the City of Canton received our
full cooperation.  Police visited the site at will,
as did other city staff, especially Julie Jackson,
and we worked together very well, even to the extent
of having the Crown give Julie a scroll of appreciation
for all her work on the many events we've held at that
site.

I don't think the Canton site would yield the same
sort of problems.  Also, the neighbors are _certainly_
used to multi-thousand person events on that site,
as they've been going on at least monthly for over
100 years there.

- Galen