ES - Youth Boffer

Matthew Saroff saroff at poseidon.vs.lmco.com
Wed Jul 21 13:30:14 PDT 1999

Hi,
	One note on boffers:  when I was up north, there were a fair number of
boffer groups, and I noticed a lot of people moving from boffers to SCA would
have to work hard to lose bad habits (they worked with boffers, just not with
something more closely approximately the weight and force of real weapons).
	I knight up there, when I made this observation, noted that he found
the same sort of thing when sabre fencers tried to do heavy.
	This has NO bearing on the safety of the activity (if anything, they
are over protectinf: I think that the helmet requirement is in fact a bit
excessive, eye protection should be fine), but it should be explained to the
participants that it is not the same as, nor is it really training for, Rattan.

--
Matthew Saroff
Do not reply directly to this message.  Reply to
msaroff at pobox.com