ES - Youth Boffer

Valentyn valentyn at gte.net
Fri Jul 23 18:43:42 PDT 1999

At 09:31 AM 7/23/99 -0500, Galen of Bristol wrote:
>Can't say I much like the idea of recruiting kids
>into the SCA at a Jr. High or (worse) elementary
>school.  We're not a youth group, we're a group
>for adults and families.  The youth tourney rules
>(both boffer and rapier) require the parent in
>attendance.  I don't want to recruit youth stick
>jocks whose parents aren't interested and will
>appear in mundanes to watch their kids fight,
>and that's all.
>
>And if we _were_ going to do that, I'd want to
>have the rules and techniques much more finalized
>than they are now before doing so.
>
>- Galen
>Boffer marshal warrant pending

Along the same line: Please be aware that for youth rapier
(and I assume youth boffer) a parent or guardian *must*
be present at any official SCA event where the youth
fights.  This includes fighter practices.  Thus, a child
who sees the flyer at school can't just come to the
park and fence; his or her parents have to come too.

Valentyn