ES - Information on the danelaw?

Richard Threlkeld rjt2 at airmail.net
Wed Jun 30 09:01:32 PDT 1999

This is a state law. You may carry an illegal weapon to or from
a sporting or educational event (and they extend this to a shop
for repair or enhancement though I have not seen this in the law),
but it is otherwise illegal. It should not be easily at hand to the
people in the vehicle (it should be in the trunk or box for a truck).

You may *not* carry, display, etc an illegal weapon in a public park,
near or in a school, near a school event, etc. That is, don't wear
one to fighter practice if it is in a park. If you do a demo at a
school, get permission *in writing* from the principal to bring the
swords, etc into the school (that one is state law *and* federal
law and is a felony if I remember correctly).

An illegal "knife" is, among other things, has more than one sharp
edge or has a blade of over 5.5". Our heavy swords are defined as
"clubs" and can get you arrested also. Put them in the trunk.

I do have relevant parts of the law for those who wish to look at
it.

If you get stopped, decide immediately that you are on the way to
either an event or to someone's house to get your stuff repaired.
Don't lie, but make your schedule plans so you are legal. Or better
yet, remove illegal weapons from your vehicle until you are going
to an event. By the way, these are defenses from prosecution, and
do not prevent an officer from arresting you. The officer may use
his/her best judgement and if they decide to arrest you, you may
use the fact that you were going to a legal destination as a defense.

Most officers will not bother you if you can legitimately claim that
you are going to an event or shop, you are polite, and you cannot
easily access the weapons. They don't want to waste their time booking
you, going to court, etc if they believe it will be thrown out anyway.

Be polite,
Caelin on Andrede