ES - FW: ANST - Steppes Warlord Report

Vicki Marsh Vicki_Marsh at administaff.com
Wed Jun 2 13:46:31 PDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael F. Gunter [mailto:michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 1999 2:43 PM
To: ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: ANST - Steppes Warlord Report

Good Afternoon,

As most of you are aware the event was cut short by the rains that hit
early Sunday morning and later that day. But, like Gulf Wars, things were
going pretty well until the rains hit.

The weather was humid but cooler than previous years and made the Greek
gods theme work very well. Gods and Goddesses walked the earth and made
for a wonderful spectacle. Bacchus' misty vine-laden pavillion was a
temptation to any who passed by, and the Medusa and death were wonderful.
Ld. Bayne, as Hades, was truly an awesome sight.

The Warlord tournament had in the neighborhood of 89 entrants and was very
well fought. Sir Timotheos was knighted just before the beginning of the
list and proved himself worthy of the accolade by winning the tournament.
This Warlord was distinguished by the variety of weapons styles in evidence.
There were combats with spear, glaive, florentine, and great sword as well
as sword and shield. The bouts were fought with notable skill and very few
problems. Our thanks go out to the fighters and marshals of the lists.
We were gifted with garnets to present to the fighter we deemed most
honorable
and chivalrous both on and off the field. It was our pleasure to present
these to Hrabia Sir William the Bear. The choice wasn't easy because
there were so many fighters deserving of praise and honor for their actions
in that tournament.

There were three vigils held this weekend. Timo's was lovely, with candles
and Greek foods and a torchlit path to his vigil tent. Baroness Clarissa
had a simple pavilion surrounded by beautiful subtleties and wonderful
period food. It was quiet, restrained and very enjoyable. Baron Sir Terans
has been a knight of Atenvelt for many years and it was difficult for him
to give up his bond with that great kingdom but he was finally released from
his oath so that he might become a knight of Ansteorra. His vigil went from
raucous to quiet as gentles gathered to tell stories and relate the songs
of this Kingdom so he many be better informed of our history and customs.

Saturday evening was filled with a no-shields torchlight tournament in honor
of King Osis of Eldormere, who was recently killed in a tragic car
accident.  The finals had something to do with a drinking contest
consisting of either milk or beer. (You'll have to ask Don Miguel about
that, but Os would have loved it.) Duchess Willow celebrated 20 years in
the SCA with a party in her camp. And Clarissa and Terans held their
vigils. The evening was perfect for the parties and dancing that were held
throughout the camp. We managed to hold Warlord Court down to two hours
with many prizes and awards given out. We finally stumbled off to bed
around 3:30 am.

Then the rains came.

We were awakened by the Steward who informed us the field for the rapier
championship was under water and morning court would have to be moved.
The gentle creek next to our camp had become a river and more rain was
forthcoming. Court and meetings were moved to the A&S tent by the list
field.
But as we were in the tent and preparing for Court we saw the line of water
rushing towards us. Soon the tent was in the middle of a wonderful
Ansteorran
spring thunderstorm. Although our heads were dry water was running over our
feet. Being typical hardy Ansteorrans, we held court. I hope I didn't offend
too many of the populace by finally removing my boots and holding court
barefoot. (Hey, those boots are expensive!) Even in that small tent, court
was difficult to hear because of the rain and thunder. Sir Terans came
forward
and knelt in the rushing water to swear his fealty. The crowd's "Vivats" and
cheers drowned out the storm as he walked back down the aisle. Other
business
was conducted, including the awarding of the Steward, Lady Catrinn, with the

Order of the Oak of the Steppes. One problem was that Baroness Clarissa
wasn't
there for the Laurel's ceremony. We had finally decided that Clarissa had
left
site and were about to close Court when she arrived in a beautiful gown,
undaunted by the rain and mud. By this time most of the populace had left
and
after consulting with her we decided to elevate her to her proper position
at a
later date - and in fairer weather.

The Cadet's tea was still held but the Pelican meeting was cancelled.  The
rapier list was moved to Steppes Artisan, and the bardic was moved to
Steppes
Fall Court.  People went about and assisted each other in breaking camps.
Finally the rains stopped but the water was running in small rivers
everywhere. His Highness Daffydd was inspirational in carrying Her
Highness across the puddles.

We do feel that this business of cancelling events because of rain is
beginning
to get a bit tiresome. Especially since we didn't have the King of An Tir to
blame for this one.  We apologize to everyone who travelled great distances
for
Sunday's events - the circle, the light list, or the laurelling - only to
find
themselves rained out.

We hope everyone who attended did enjoy themselves and made it home safe.

Yours,

Gunthar and Sara
Rex et Regina