ES - Wallace Collection

Amy & Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Thu Mar 11 20:20:22 PST 1999

The Wallace Collection was, at the time of it's donation to the
government the largest private collection of medieval arms and armor in
existence.  It is still one of the best in Britain, second only to the
Royal armory.
  It's previous catalogs are (if you can get them) a classic source for
armoring (weights, lengths, materials, etc for original items).  They
have been a frequent source of reference in the better-informed
discussions about weights, balance, size, etc of both Medieval and
Current Middle Ages combat.
   Even if I find I can't afford 200 pounds I intend to respond
enthusiastically, and ask I might help by reserving a non-collector's
edition. I couldn't care less about being one of a list of subscribers,
and I am very unlikely to make it to London for a reception.  But the
effort is well worth encouraging.

                                    Breichiol map Lludd o Fannauc
                                     Known among the Saesnag as Mableth
                                      MKA Bill Morris

Incidentally, if you do manage to visit London and are interested in
armor and armoring, try to set aside LOTS of time for the Wallace
Collection.