ES - period manual of sword and shield

Todd Marsh todd_marsh at pagenet.com
Thu Mar 25 10:54:24 PST 1999

In several recent discussions at fighter practices, I have talked about a
book written in period on how to fight with sword and shield.  Actually, it
is two books, and they are available on-line.

The first book is "Paradoxes of Defense".  It describes the proper lengths
of weapons and which weapons are better than others.  It was written by
George Silver, a sword teacher who is loosing most of his business to the
Italian fencing teachers in London.  It starts:

"Wherein is proved the true grounds of fight to be the short ancient weapons
and that the short sword has advantage over the long sword or the long
rapier. And the weakness and imperfection of the rapier-fights displayed.
Together with an admonition to the noble, ancient, victorious, valiant, and
most brave nation of Englishmen, to beware of false teachers of defence, and
how they forsake their own natural fights. With a brief commendation of the
noble science or exercising of arms."

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/paradoxes.html
<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/paradoxes.html>

The second book, "Brief Instructions on my Paradoxes of Defense", has more
detail on how to use the weapons Silver likes.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/brief.html
<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/brief.html>

Llywelyn