ES - Chiton and dalmatica making workshop

Vicki Marsh Vicki_Marsh at administaff.com
Fri May 21 08:46:21 PDT 1999

Cotton, Linen, cotton & linen blends.  White or off-white is good, but make
sure that the material is thick enough not to be transparent. No pattern on
the fabric for chitons.

The yardage depends on how big you are, how long you want it, what you want
to make, and how wide the fabric is.  Most of the time 2.5 - 4 yds. For a
dalmatica, I usually do 4 yds. and have some leftover.

Trim is nice, but not necessary.  You can use grosgrain ribbon on the
chitons, just make sure you wash and iron beforehand.  Red ribbon on a white
chiton, makes a pink chiton the first time you wash it.  For a dalmatica
(big sleeve) or a tunica (tighter sleeve), 7-10 yds of trim.  For a chiton,
maybe 5 - 7 yds.

Welcome to Xene's "Hack-and-Slash School of Costuming".