ES - Bordermarch Melees

Robert Singleton slugmusk at alias.flash.net
Mon Nov 22 11:40:22 PST 1999

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain wrote:

> What, no tales yet about Bordermarch Melees? Enlighten those of us who didn't get to go.

I, for one, have a tale or two :)

I had the good fortune to be amongst the first to go into the ravine. My
Arthurian brothers and I were four abreast, holding steady. Commander
Airaklee saw the opening he was waiting for and called for the Heavy
Cavalry charge. The nature of the charge does not let the participants
see how far we were able to advance until after the dust settles, but
after the dead (including me) were removed, it would be the grossest of
understatements to say that Airaklee was merely pleased. We all had
grins that could be seen for miles and a hungry gleem in our eyes. We
were a wild animal that, having tasted blood, craved for more! As a
bonus, we had gained enough ground to spell the eventual end to the
resistance of the defenders to our forces.

The glory of that one charge alone might well have carried our hearts
for the day, but we were able to repeat it several times, most notably
in a castle battle where we were attacking at the sallyport. This time,
Commander Airaklee called for the Heavy Cavalry charge almost at lay-on.
We were able to breach the shield wall and survive for even longer than
expected.

In defending the castle, we held the front line well enough for the
attackers to pull back and regroup. On the second wave, there were not
as many shieldmen available, so a few were able to get by us. I fended
off a couple of them, but I  managed to survive and regroup back into
the two-man shieldwall that was left. I felt a gentle tap on my helm and
saw what I thought was the tip of Bjorn's glave behind me, so I shifted
left enough to allow him to work between me and the other shieldman. At
just that moment, a hold was called, so once down on one knee, I turned
to discover that it was not Bjorn behind me but an attacking fighter who
had been attempting to engage me! At the "rise if you're able" call, I
arose and assumed the shield wall guard position, but at lay-on, I
turned to engage the attacker. He and another fighter were in a position
to overpower me but not without working for it!

Sluggy!

Robert Singleton

Lord Robert of Slugglen
House Mac An Ghabhann
Canton of Loch Ruadh
Kingdom of Ansteorra
Planet Earth
The Sol System
The Milky Way
Universe Unspecified

We've all heard that a million monkeys, banging on a million
typewriters,
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now,thanks to
the Internet, we know that this is not true.

						---Robert Wilensky