ES - A&S questions

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 18:16:45 PST 1999

>If you want to enter the item in an A & S competition, I would suggest that
>you attend such a competition and see how others do their documentation.
>It is acceptable to substitute other materials for the period materials, as
>long as you explain your substitution.  This shows that you understand how
>the item was actually constructed.  This is often done especially with
>substitutions like DMC embroidery floss in place of silk on embroidery
>project.  If you use modern tools, you can explain what you used, as well
>as the tools that would have been used in period.

  Thank you, Your Excellency.  I hope to attend a few before I try to dive
in.
   This may be my only attempt at A&S as I really do not know what I can do
of which I have knowledge outside of this particular topic.

>If you would like more information about a renaissance guitar, please let
>me know.  I wrote a research paper on them and have some excellent
>resources for more in-depth study.

  Sound like a good read.  I certainly enjoy studying the mechanics of
instruments (it is half the reason I play them- I happen to enjoy all the
tuning and adjustments they need).

Cyniríc Cyniwarding