ES - Elfsea Defender - 2000

Karie Mitchell allessandre at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:13:38 PDT 1999

>From: "Richard Threlkeld" <rjt2 at airmail.net>
>
>This is not really correct. The *National* policy which cannot
>be changed by the local Councils is that no alcohol is allowed
>on *any* Scout property. The cases where SCA groups have said
>"discretely wet" are where the local Scout oversight group has
>turned a blind eye to the process as long as no proof of the
>transgression is left behind. The contract you must sign to
>get the use of the property clearly states that no alcohol can
>be present. As Seneschal, I could not sign such a contract and
>then allow alcohol to be consumed.
>
>If we can amend the contract to delete that clause, then fine.
>But I was the Longhorn Council Training Chair until a couple
>of months ago and they were very adamant about it.

Thank you for the clarification.  I have not rented a site from
the Boy Scouts before and only understand what was permitted on
the site, from the site rules.  I would not permit alcohol on
site if that's the agreement we made with the site.

>There may be some flexibility with the conference center at
>Sid Richardson Scout Ranch since that is rented to non-scout
>groups for parties etc. I can check on it if the conference
>center is acceptable as a site.

I think that would be lovely for the Coronation of our new Highnesses.  I
think that perhaps I should be looking for
another site which could permit alcohol more "freely".  There
have been difficulties with people not regarding the rules
about alcohol before and I would rather avoid "mistakes"
regarding alcohol consumption if at all possible.

I appreciate your help in this matter.

Allessandre Desiderio