ES - Pardon? Could you speak up?

Amy & Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Wed Oct 27 17:25:09 PDT 1999

A few comments on hearing court based on years of experience in
heralding/attending/autocratting them in multiple kingdoms.

Clip-on mikes are a nice idea, and I have seen them work well.  I have
also seen them work poorly, when those using them did not have chance to
practice and find out how to wear and use them.  Apparently where to
attach them and how to speak vary from person to person.  They can
replace most microphones, but one would still be necessary for those
called into court.

If court is part of feast then you will have people present with little
or no interest in court.  Seperating court from feast works wonders for
helping people hear.

Rooms that can feast over 150 people and have the acoustics for all
those present to hear are as rare as (your choice of cliche).  One
solution is to have a seperate halls for court and feast.  Another
partial solution is to tear down and set up between court and feast.
Those who want to hear court will be able to sit much closer without
tables set up.  Those who don't want to attend court will not be present
creating noise.  This requires careful scheduling but can result in much
better court.

Basic principle number 2 of setting up court:  SCA folk insist on either
hearing or being heard.  If they can't hear or aren't interested then
they will make noise.

Basic principle number 4:  It is better to cram people in tightly, a
tight crowd does much better at being quiet, It is easier to create an
atmosphere in a tight crowd.
(I've never really understood number 4, but I've seen it work too often
to doubt it)