ES - Other impressive drummers

Laura Feldner layla at worldinter.net
Sat Oct 23 15:23:25 PDT 1999

Here is some information about another drumming group which I have heard and
greatly enjoyed. They played out at Hawkwood as special guests and also at
the State Fair.
I now present:
KOBUSHI, the taiko drumming group featuring local percussionists Kent Multer
and Martin McCall, will perform on Sunday, Oct. 24, at 2PM and again at 4PM,
at the Japanese Garden in Ft. Worth.

Taiko drumming is a traditional Japanese music that combines powerful
rhythms with elements of dance and martial arts.  KOBUSHI will perform
several traditional pieces, as well as some original works.  The outdoor
setting at the Japanese Garden is a great place to experience their sound
and energy.
For more information on KOBUSHI, call 214 824 8937, or see their web site
at:
http://frontpage.dallas.net/~kent/kobushi
The Japanese Garden doesn't look like a garden; it's more like a piece of an
ancient forest that was transplanted to Texas.  Footpaths wander through
bamboo groves, past pagodas and tea houses.  Numerous streams and waterfalls
empty into ponds filled with huge multicolored carp.  Fish food is available
from dispensers.
The weekend of 10/23 and 24 is the Garden's Autumn Festival.  From noon to
4PM each day, there will be demonstrations of Japanese music, arts, dance,
and martial arts, and light refreshments will be available.
Admission is $2.50 for adults, and $1.00 for children.
DIRECTIONS:  from downtown Ft. Worth, go West on I-30.  Exit at University
Blvd., and go left (North) on University.  The entrance to the garden is the
next left.  Turn in there, and continue past the restaurant.  Then take the
next right into the parking lot that adjoins the entrance gate.
For more information on the Japanese Garden, call (817) 871 7686.