ES - Elfsea Defender - 2000

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 08:18:20 PDT 1999

--- Carolyn Smith Pennington <mara_of_rede at yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Ms. Stella and I went to a demo years ago at the Sid
> Richardson site--it is w-a-y the heck and gone out
> town. I certainly don't remember any street lights.
> It
> is a wonderful site, but a long drive. I don't
> remember how long...Stella? Do you?
> Mara

Well, I'm obviously not Stella, but...

Sid Richardson is on Lake Bridgeport, and a little
more than an hour's drive from Fort Worth.  The long
drive from the paved road into the camp itself makes
it seem farther away than it really is.  It is a great
site, with lots of woods and campsites, many with
permanent and running water.  Springtime tends to be
busy, though, as most of the area Boy Scout Districts
hold Spring Camporees, so if this site is going to be
considered, it would be a good idea to contact the
Longhorn Council Boy Scout Office and talk to the Camp
Coordinator about dates.

Another place to be considered is Leonard Scout Ranch
in Granbury.  It is another place with great camping
facilities, privies and running water in the
campsites, shower facilities and some flush toilets,
plus an excellent hall, complete with kitchen suitable
for preparing feast, and tables and chairs.  Again,
check with the Camp Coordinator at the Scout Office.

Padraig