ES - Fw: Coronation

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Mon Oct 25 13:35:26 PDT 1999

> I would use an alternant row system. Have the first two rows
> for people who
> buy feast, and the next two rows for people who are not
> buying feast. And
> keep this up until you run out of the number of feast spots
> available. When
> the number of feast spots is available is down to 0 all
> remaining seats will
> be for non feasters. This way people who do not buy feast or
> can't becuase
> of dietrayrestrictions are not extremely penalized. You mark
> each table with
> a large colored shiled at teh the end of each table which
> depicts that table
> as feasting or non feasting.
>
> just a thought
>
> Richard Fairbourne

It has been my experience that people will pretty much sit
where people want, despite the greatest planning by the
Autocrat or the Head Cook.

 "Oh, we've got room for you! Here squeeze in right here".

Part of the difficulty you
run into is that many of those who do not do feast--either
for dietary or other reasons--are many time part of larger
groups.  Those groups are loathe to eat with their friends
sitting at another table just because they are not having
feast.  Hence, the above conversation.

If you have people eating feast mixed with those who are not,
how do you differentiate?  Do you rely on someone's personal
honor?  Do you have a token that has to be shown?  If so,
to who--their friend who is serving for the table?

If you separate those who are eating feast from those who are
not, you deprive their friends of their company during the meal.
Once you start drawing lines in the sand, where do you stop?

I have know idea if this has been an issue in the past or not.
My personal feeling is that if someone is so willing to risk
the embarrassment of getting caught partaking of feast without
paying--perhaps we should feed them. There is probably a need
there that courtesy dictates understanding.  That is, as long
as the situation isn't out of hand and you have 25% of the
people showing up at feast and not paying for it.

How has it been done in the past here?

Petruccio