ES - FW: Czech Name Question

Spence & Robin Mabry smabry at flash.net
Mon Oct 11 16:37:05 PDT 1999

Timothy,

FYI

Ceatta

> Do we have document that has Czech by-names?

Yes.  As with most other bynames, the most comomon are patronyms (names
based on that of the father).  There are also locatives, occupationals,
and (IIRC) some descriptive names.

> He was wondering because he was going to submit a Czech name to us and
> wanted to at least have a good chance of having the by-name correct

It's not each, since we have very few available resources for period Czech
names, and most of those have had the spellings standardized to modern
forms.  Even if his name is correct, we might have trouble documenting it
as a Czech name.  We have to rely a little on the Polish sources, which is
a less than ideal way to research a Czech name.

The biggest consideration is whether he wants a name from:

  EARLY PERIOD  (before about 1000)
   We have little or no information, except that Christian/saint names
   were not used.  Most of the names look like standard Slavic names
   across eastern Europe.  Most people at that time did not use bynames,
   or at least we have no record of them in Slavic languages.

 "MIDDLE" PERIOD  (900-1300)
   This was the period when Bohemia and Moravia were united as a powerful
   nation. We still have little information, and Christian names were not
   used, but we do have _some_ information, and there is record of
   bynames. Spelling closely follows Polish practices.

  LATE PERIOD  (1300-1600)
   The last of the native Premysl rulers died, and the new rulers were
   from Luxembourg.  About this time Christian and French names, as well
   as German, begin to show up.  Also during this time Czech begin to use
   its distinctive spelling notations (such as the hacek).

--Walraven