ES - Microphones in court - On advising the Crown

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu Oct 28 08:13:08 PDT 1999

Galen here...

There's been a lot of advice on the Elfsea list
here lately, urging the Prince & Princess to have
artificial amplification of their Coronation court.

As most of you know, I have advised many Crowns on
many, many issues, both practical and philosophical,
over many years.  I'd like to offer a few pointers
on how to get the Crown to do what you think they
should do.

First, show them respect.  If you treat them like
they don't have a clue, they aren't likely to listen.
In fact, most Crowns really do have some pretty
solid clues, and they know it; so if your first
assumption is something that they know is wrong,
they aren't likely to listen to the rest of your
advice.

Second, show them loyalty.  There is no point in
advising the Crown if you're not prepared to accept
their decision.  If you'll only support their decisions
when you agree with them, there's nothing to make you a
more useful advisor than all the many others who'll
support only the decisions they agree with.  The
loyal advisor gives his honest advice, and then does
his best to make the Crown's decisions successful,
even when those decisions go against his advice.

Third, show the world they're in charge.  This means
your advice must be private.  All those wise decisions
you've advised them on must be the fruits of the Crown's
wisdom, not yours.  If you publically jump up and tell
the Crown what to do, it makes it _harder_ for the Crown
to follow your advice.  The Crown _cannot_ be seen to
be simply following someone else's directions; if
they are, it means they're not really the Crown.

Their Highnesses have informed the stewards of their
Coronation that they don't want amplification.  You
can accept this decision, try to change it, or offer
your assistance to make it work.  Otherwise, you can
protest in any of a variety of forums.  I suggest
one of these first three options.

In any case, I'd like to see the end of this thread
on the Elfsea list, until and unless Their Highnesses
do decide to seek assistance on this matter.

- Galen of Bristol
Viscount, KSCA, Pel., etc.
ListAdmin