ES - Re: ANST-Announce - New Rules and Standards for Chivalric Combat

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:59:56 PDT 1999

Wæs þú hæl!

   I could use some advice here:

>6. All parts of the helm that come in contact with the wearers head when
>worn will have a minimum of 1/2 inch (12.5 mm) closed-cell foam padding or
>the equivalent.  Any part of the helm that is likely to come into contact
>with the wearers unprotected neck or body will also be suitably padded.

   I padded out my helm yesterday using closed cell foam as indicated.  My
problem is I have an oblong skull and two put two layers of foam all around
would have had my nose become one with my face plate and raise the height of
my helm to unsafe levels I think as HRH Alaric advised me to keep my eye
level at the top part of the view piece. (Also I have a Viking style visor
piece with the protective bar right across the middle which at the raise
level distorts my vision.)

   AS it stands, I have one layer in the immediate back and two layers on
the sides, front brow ridge, and cheek plates.  The top I have one
approximately 4" squared piece atop an oblong bigger piece on the front of
which I added the brow ridge piece.
    I all fits good and I feel safe in it (except for the pitch of the
ringing).  Just am worried about meeting this standard.  I certainly cannot
afford another helm made to the shape of my head.

   Any help would be appreciated.  I also could use suggestions on
construction chin straps ASAP as I hope to be fighting really soon.

Cyniríc