ES - Roman Hygiene (finally!)

Jane Sitton-Logan jesl at netzero.net
Sat Apr 1 08:03:52 PST 2000

Bonjour mes amis, from Madelina de Lindesaye!

Rome wasn't built in a day, but why did it take so long for me to get
this posted?  Well, the computer crashed back in August.  Then we
moved.  Finally got the computer running again, then the modem wouln't
be detected.  Got a new modem.  Got a new hard drive and motherboard to
solve some other conflicts.  Then it wouldn't detect the mouse.  Finally
got it all working, but since the old hard drive was reformated, I
thought I had lost the information.  Got connected to the old (free)ISP,
and lo and behold, all the old info was still there!  So it just took me
a while (after wading through almost 5,000 emails) to edit and compile
all the Roman hygiene information.  Since it was such a chore, I thought
I'd go ahead and post it to the list in the hopes that whoever wants it
can just download the file instead of me dealing with a lot of requests.

So if you're squeamish, don't open the file.  Those that do, I hope you
find the information interesting and perhaps useful.  (I like the idea
of the calderium myself.)

Amicalement,
Madelina
aka Jane Sitton-Logan
-------------- next part --------------
There's an article that claims there is such evidence (soap for cleaning
clothes):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_413000/413747.stm

Morey Brill writes:

> Is there any written testimony or archaeological findings that the
> ancient Romans used soap for bathing or cleaning of clothes?

I cannot think of any mention of soap in any Roman Latin author I have read,
not even in Pliny the Elder, whom I expect would have covered it if he had
found it marginally important.

According to Partridge's etymological dictionary, the word -sapo- was
borrowed into Latin from a Germanic.or Celtic word; the native reflex of
which was -sebum-.  My understanding is that Roman bathers cleaned
themselves with olive oil, perfumes, and scrapers, but no soap.  Their
laundries used a number of oddments, including a nitro-phosphate rich
ingredient which is unlikely to make it into contemporary detergent
advertisements, but gave them the double-edged word -lotium- (lege:
*lav-tium) but no soap for them, either.