ES - Viking Article

Sue Dittrich dittrich at flash.net
Tue Apr 25 19:21:03 PDT 2000

Greetings, Elfsea!

     Something rather ironic happened to me today.  My Blackstar arrived, and I read the advertisement about our grand Norse themed Springfaire. (No, that's not the ironic part.)  The ironic part occurred when I opened my new National Geographic magazine, and the cover story was about Vikings!  Wow!
    The article is wonderful.  It documents the discovery of whole Viking ships that were scuttled in a lake, possibly as a tribute to the gods.  It also describes the travels of many of the more famous Norsemen, including  Erik the Red and Leif Erikkson.  I learned some new facts about the Norse, including that they traveled as far as Bagdhad, Kiev, and Byzantium, where Swedish strongmen were hired as Varangian guards.  I also learned that their ships were made to be flexible in the rough seas of the North Atlantic, with oak planking no thicker than a finger.  It also has a beautiful photo of a Norse belt and scabbard jewelry. Wow.  It's so much fun to learn about ancient cultures! I highly reccommend checking this article out.

Enjoy, all!

In service,

Lady Genevieve de la Gamba
Fourth Artisan of Dragonsfire Tor
Former Rapier Guardian of Dragonsfire Tor
Matron, House Silver Moon