ES - armor question

Russell, Michael MRussell at lear.com
Wed Apr 19 18:43:58 PDT 2000

Greeting Ailgenan,

      You must be a hell of an armorer or are willing to try anything. I
used to make metal and leather armor and may get back to doing it again. As
far as I know the "dome" of the helm is to be 14 gauge and the skirting can
be 16 gauge. Things may have changed. What I would suggest would to buy an
14 gauge, eleven inch spun dome and slitting it down the middle to remove
what you don't need and reweld it together then add the 16 gauge skirting
(unless your making a great helm). If you plan on hand dishing it out you
can weaken the metal if not done correctly but you can buy two pieces of
scrap metal just bigger than a football that is 14 g. and spend the rest on
the 16 g. sheet. Though metal looks really good and is cheaper the tools and
time far exceeds that of leather. If you have any questions about armor, you
can call me at 419-3063 after 4:00pm or 572-6675 before 3:00pm. I will
gladly help were I can, after all I learned from one of the best and he
taught me for free.

Hengist Redhand