ES - Membership in the Society

housedragonstar housedragonstar at prodigy.net
Wed Aug 2 19:03:43 PDT 2000

Well said, good Wilim, well said!!!

House Dragonstar

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilim Penbras" <wilim.penbras at pandora.org>
To: <elfsea at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 4:33 PM
Subject: ES - Membership in the Society

> Greetings,
>      I played in the East before I came to Ansteorra.  I'm a member of the
Society in Ansteorra.  It's a small difference and probably one that a lot
of people wouldn't recognize.  I do all of the same things here that I did
in the East.  Except here it simply seemed the Right Thing for *me* to do.
>      I loan hundreds of dollars worth of armor to strangers who want to
see what it feels like.  I leave even more expensive stuff in a tent for the
day while I'm at the list field.  I can do these things because there is a
certain ethic in the Society that I can trust.  Why would I all of a sudden
expect that the $35 I sent to the Society is being used carelessly or
irresponsibly.
>      Do I receive value out of loaning equipment to people that have no
idea how to use it?  Do I receive value out of helping people learn how to
use it.  I spend hours of my time helping people at events and never
actually receive anything really tangible for it.  Sometimes I just do stuff
because it seems like the Right Thing for me to do at the time.
>      If there's a city, town or person that'll never know the Society in
thier area because too many of us spent time worrying about 'Accountablity'
and not chipping in financially too, then we've got problems.  I don't much
care if everyone else sees it the same way.  As long as enough people decide
to say "What might I lose if I don't give my Money?" instead of "What do I
get for my Money?".