ES - Membership trend

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Fri Aug 4 11:45:58 PDT 2000

Galen here...

> I think it is crummy when people just flat out don't
> WANT to support a my group yet they wish to stand on
> it,camp in it,and let others clean it up.

But buying a membership is not the only way to support
the group.  Many who volunteer to help out in kitchens,
or event set-up and clean-up or in a variety of other
ways are not paid members.

I want to encourage paid membership.  I don't deny that
there are reasons that some find compelling not to buy
memberships (including financial and value-based
reasons).  I don't want to create a false dichotomy
between the value of those who have paid their
memberships and those who participate without being
members; all are part of Elfsea and I value them.  If
someone tells me that I am the Baron of his Barony, I
don't check his membership status before embracing him as
a member of my barony.

Few of us can participate to the extant we'd like.  But
even those who can only stand by and believe in what
we're trying to do here in the SCA are an important part
of our group, and I am unwilling to do without them.

That said, let me return to my original point:  I want to
encourage paid membership. For those who are willing and
able, please don't forget to keep your membership
current.

- Galen Elfsea