ES - Re: response to role playing

Mordock von Rugen mordockvonrugen at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 09:55:06 PDT 2000

I guess a lot depends on what you consider role-playing.  The hand-kissing,
helping people carry stuff, holding open doors - all these and other
associated behaviors I don't see as role-playing.  They are real, normal
things that I've included in my life  - though some things are only done in
context (like the hand-kissing).

Now, "getting into persona" and arguing about the relative merits of kite
shields, or making scurrilous comments about the love lives of Charlemagne's
troops, can be a lot of fun.  This is role playing.

To me, though, this is just icing on the cake.  The cake is composed of
living ideals gleaned from history - honor, courage, chivalry, courtesy,
integrity, and the continuing heroic quest.  These things don't depend on
getting into persona - the depend on letting your persona get into you.

The problem for me of "getting into persona" is that my persona doesn't fit
very well with many of the personae around me.  I sort of pretend that
everyone around me are Saxon nobles, regardless of what their persona really
is, and treat them accordingly.  That's my version of role playing.  And
since I don't speak Old Saxon well enough to be conversational, and nobody
would understand me anyway, I just use modern equivalents.

This keeps me from doing a number of things that might be considered
socially unacceptable in a modern setting, like calling a lot of the men
around me "girls", or deriding the "little pigstickers" of the fencers.  It
would get very old, very fast, and would be fun neither for me or for those
I was talking to.

<shrug> As I say, it depends on what your definition of role-playing is.

Dux